March is National Social Work Month, and this year’s theme is ELEVATE SOCIAL WORK! National Social Work month is an opportunity for social workers around the nation and world and their supporters to educate the public about the invaluable contributions of the profession.
You can find social workers all throughout our society. They are in schools
helping students overcome life challenges so students can get the best possible education. They’re in clinics, hospitals and mental health centers helping people recover; and in federal, state and local government pushing for legislation and regulations to improve quality of life. Many people may not know social workers account for the largest group of mental health service providers in the United States or that the Veterans Administration is the largest employer of social workers with a master’s degree.
Every day, the nation’s 680,000 social workers work to empower and elevate millions of people, including some of the most vulnerable in our society. And according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, social work continues to be one of the fastest
growing careers in the nation, with more than 100,000 people expected to enter the field in just seven years.
Other highlights of the 2019 Social Work Month Campaign include:
• GET THE WORD OUT! A Social Work Month online toolkit HERE
• An infographic that explores social work salaries (embedded at the end of this post)
CLICK HERE to learn more about how you can earn your MSW in just one year through our Advanced Standing track. It’s perfect for BSW holding social work professionals working in the field looking to advance their career.
- A video public service announcement that can be shared on social media or on
television. (SEE VIDEO HERE)
- Public News Service: In the months leading up to Social Work Month NASW has engaged Public News Service to write stories about issues of the day from a social work perspective. (See samples in TOOL KIT)
• An official proclamation that you can get local, state or federal politicians to endorse. (See proclamation in TOOL KIT)
• Social Work Month merchandise from official vendor Jim Coleman Ltd.
• Media Awards to TV shows, film and news articles that best represent social workers or issues important to the profession.
The services of social workers are needed now more than ever before as the nation
grapples with issues such as income equality, the opioid addiction crisis, the environment and continued struggle for equal rights for all. During Social Work Month we hope you will take time to learn more about the profession and support the work of social workers in improving the lives of individuals and families and our society.